Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why I Have Always Hated Haloween

It's Halloween night. I have to say that it's never been my favorite night. I was never really creative with costumes so I always felt stressed trying to come up with something. Then there was the candy. I would take the kids around, whatever neighborhood we were going to that year. I hated that part too because, being an inactive adult, it was too much to think about walking for an hour and a half and trying to keep up with two energetic boys.

After the walking came to an end, it was time to sort through the candy and figure out what was consumable and what is possibly dangerous and heading for the trash. Chocolate was my weakness so of course I would steal a few pieces from the boys. Then, in the days to come, I would help myself to the several pounds of candy they received for being so cute. After all, I was the one who took them around, right? They won't notice a few pieces missing (several times a day.) The candy never really lasted too long in our house. I always spent the first week of November feeling guilty about my consumption, craving more, seeking Halloween candy on sale at the stores and consuming more.

Now do you understand why I hate Halloween? Telling this story is humiliating. Most of the time the candy was eaten in private, so, no one really knows how I felt or what I did. I'm not proud of it. But I'm sure, beyond doubt, that I am not the only one who has done it. As a matter of fact, there are some that have done this tonight. Thankfully, that is over for me. I waited until the last minute to get the candy. Actually, there were kids approaching the house with their "Trick or Treats" as I was heading to the store. They had candy on sale when I got there. $1.50 a bag for my favorite, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. I bought a few bags and made it home in time to pass the candy out. I saved some for the boys since they didn't go out this year. I have had 1/2 of a RPB cup. I don't even want more than that. It is a great feeling to want to give the rest away.

I don't know what has changed the desire for the chocolate, or what has given me the willpower. I do not have the dumping syndrome associated with the Gastric Bypass surgery, so by all rights I can eat what I want at this point. But I don't want it. If I could pass along the solution I would. If you struggle with these things as I did, I can only suggest to be strong. Eating large amounts of candy, for me, would make me crave more. I don't want that. It is more important to me to have more nutrition than crap since my stomach doesn't hold as much.

Again, I say, I am grateful for the Gastric Bypass surgery and what it has done for me, even though I have struggled with it. I would do it again and again.

So now you understand why I have always hated Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment