Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Struggle Begins

Watching what I eat is becoming increasingly difficult. I do not get the dumping syndrome that a lot of people who have this surgery talk about. Let me rephrase, I do not get it as severely as others. I am able to eat chocolate and some fried foods, which I have deemed a curse.

I am now responsible for the rest of the weight I have to lose. The surgery has helped me this far and my appetite is not what it used to be but from here forward I really have to watch what I eat and make the best choices for myself. It is becoming more difficult.

I have found that when extreme stress takes over, I still have to watch for my old bad habits. I crave the wrong foods and on occasion have a "who cares" attitude. I know I can't do that. I've come too far. I do have to say, in my own defense, that compared to what I used to do, I am able to catch this type of behavior immediately. If I have acted on a bad habit or craving, I am able to turn it around quickly by making healthier choices for the next meal or snack. It has been easier to "forgive myself" during these times as well. My cravings aren't leading to an entire pizza or 3 scoop ice cream sundaes with the works. For example, today, the family wanted Burger King for dinner. I feel like I "blew it," because I had 3/4 of a $1 Spicy Sandwich with just cheese and 1/2 of a small fry. That wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't add one of their cookies and eat it later when I got home. I used to get the Double Burger with cheese and bacon with a Large fry and Super huge Diet Coke. That only held me for a couple of hours.

On the other hand, I have started losing again. I don't think I eat enough yet to make a 1200 calorie diet most days, so my weight loss stalls on occasion, sometimes for a month or so. My body acts as if it is in starvation mode. My total loss since June is 143 pounds, 113 of that being since the surgery in August 2009.

I wanted to make this post because I know some of you are considering the surgery. I don't want you to think that Gastric Bypass is a quick fix. You will still have struggles. Even naturally thin people struggle with food choices. It's natural. And keep in mind that not everyone gets severe dumping syndrome. I had it in the beginning but I am now able to have a piece of pizza, 1/2 of a small cheeseburger, a small dose of chocolate on occasion without getting sick. If I go outside of my small portion range though, it's all over. My body rebels.

This mission I'm on to lose weight, keep it off and make healthy choices from here forward will be a lifetime struggle. I feel that I am up for the challenge but may need help on occasion. One of the most important things I have learned to do is strategize. If I am at the table and I know I have eaten enough food, but also feel the urge to pick, I ask for my family to remove the food from the table. I realize that if I do it, I will steal another bite, lick or taste. If it is out of the way and someone else removes it, the temptation is gone. Another thing I've done is remind people that I cannot eat certain things. People seem to forget after a while for whatever reason and they start offering sweets to you. If you feel you are vulnerable, remind people that you would rather that they didn't offer those types of foods. You can simply explain that you'd rather not be aware they are even around. Simply removing the temptation can be very helpful. "Out of site, out of mind."

The above can help whether you have had surgery or not. The struggle will always be there but you can make it easier on yourself. Removing temptation or removing yourself from it's vicinity is the best option for success. Drink plenty of water and limit the carbs.

Something to thing about is that Easter is right around the corner. Most people who celebrate Easter do so with a basket of candy. If candy is a major downfall for you and your children, why not change things up a bit and fill the basket with 1 chocolate Easter Bunny and the rest with toys. My boys are older and absolutely love finding gift cards to buy a new video game or Xbox points. Think of how much happier they would be. You would be happier too. They wouldn't be loaded with sugar for a week and have to deal with the misbehaving that goes along with that. For yourself, what about a gift certificate to a spa, a new outfit, or if funds are tight, how about treating you and a friend to a movie? The possibilities are endless. In my house, we have even resorted to fruit baskets. That's always a great treat too.

I raise my glass of water to yours as a toast to our continued success.

Happy Easter and Best Wishes,
Missy Cantlin Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment